Omer Rana is Professor of Performance Engineering at Computer Science & Informatics Department, Cardiff University UK. His research interests span three areas of Computing; (1) Problem Solving Environments (PSEs) for computational science and commercial computing, (2) Data analysis and management for large scale computing, and (3) scalability in high performance agent systems. Underpinning these three areas are the core concepts of "scalability" and "performance management" - which cover his research contributions - involving:
- Performance modelling and simulation - in particular creating manageable models that can be confirmed by simulation (these models have primarily been based on Stochastic Petri Nets).
- Execution performance - with a key focus on distributed objects.
- Performance issues in large scale distributed systems - such as Computational and Data Grids.
- Infrastructure support for improving user-perceived performance (and suggestions for improvements in infrastructure). This aspect also includes application demonstrators that illustrate performance problems.
- Semantic support for monitoring and measuring performance.
- Relation of application performance with system scalability, trust and reputation issues, and reliability.